Saturday, July 18, 2009

Music and the Spoken Word Rehersal

Okay, so I'm not exactly sure what it was called, but my family and I went to Salt Lake on Thursday to see the rehearsal of the Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra on Temple Square in the Conference Center. It was in preparation for the 80th anniversary of Music and the Spoken Word and for the 24th of July. I have played the violin since I was in 3rd grade and I sing in our ward choir, so I know the basics pretty well. The concert was completely enjoyable and from what I know I found no fault with the illustrious Tabernacle Choir or the grand orchestra accompanying them. Another great part of the evening was our seats. We were in the middle section on the floor, pretty near the front. We had a fantastic view of the orchestra and the choir and also the Organ.

So the object was music and there were all sorts of genres involved. I'm not very good with recall, so I'm not sure of all of the names, but there was some classical and some African American spiritual and some hymn like music. It represented all of the hard work of this particular choir and orchestra and of those of the past and it represented them very well. Even though it was a rehearsal they only restarted a song one time. I'm not really sure what the medium constitutes for as singing orchestra affair. The medium could be all of the instruments or the music for the orchestra, but I'm not sure if the medium for the choir is their voices or their bodies which produce the sound and the music.

I would have to say that they are the most organized choir I have ever seen. Every woman is wearing the same thing and ever man is. On Thursday the women wore a magenta dress and a sparkly silver necklace and the men were in black suits and bow ties; the members of the orchestra all wore black as is customary. The visual aspect was very pleasing, but that isn't really what I should be concerned with when the object is music I suppose. They all stood up together and it sounded like two or four voices depending on how many parts were required at different points in the music. I know that my choir in church has definite struggles saying our S's together and enunciating and on a good day there are only twenty of us. The Tabernacle choir has, well I'm not sure how many there are in it other than there are assuredly more than twenty.

We were a little bit late and the first song we came in on was about halfway done. The first song we heard in its entirety was really incredible. It actually was probably one of my favorites because it was really uplifting. It involved all of the different players, choir and orchestra. The next piece was equally enjoyable. It was Come Thou Fount, which has always been one of my favorite songs. It was different from the first in that it was more still. The first song had sort of a military beat to it. Two of the songs at the concert included a male soloist. I think they were Rockin' my Soul in the Bosom of Abraham and Go Down Moses or something like unto it. They were great proof that the choir is excellent in all areas, even as backup singers. I have to say though, that one of the most exciting parts of the program was when the organist did a solo. He played a lot of the piece with his feet. My sister and I decided it was impossible even though we were watching him carry it off beautifully. They ended with God Be With You Til We Meet Again, which of course was quite fitting. They had some other songs such as I'm trying to Be like Jesus and all of them were well done.

It is programs like these that really inspire me to become better at my talents. I couldn't help wishing that I had a better voice so that I could be a part of the choir someday, or that I was more willing to practice so that I could be a part of the orchestra. I have to admit that some of the appeal comes from the fact that they have traveled all over the world and are internationally renowned, but also I can't imagine how great the camaraderie would be in the group. I like singing. It was definitely worth the drive to Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment